The objective of the proposed internship or graduation project is to design and develop dredging equipment, and their mechanical components.
Dredging equipment is subject to harsh conditions. Exposure to maritime, saline environments is already demanding for most steel structures. In addition, the dredging process itself and the way the equipment is operated and maintained pose extra challenges to the design of the equipment.
Damen Dredging Equipment (DDE) designs and builds standardized product ranges of dredging equipment, as well as customized solutions designed to the client’s needs. A typical dredging vessel consists of a floating steel construction with highly loaded mechanical static and rotating equipment. The supporting systems (e.g. hydraulical, electrical, HVAC, fuel oil, cooling water, bilge and waste water and control systems) have to be integrated as well. Furthermore the design shall comply with all relevant Class Rules and International Standards.
Projects envisaged to be carried out in the near future are a.o.:
- Design a hose reel for deep sea dredging application;
- Design a new type of discharge dredge valve;
- Design a modular deep suction dredger based on our DOP dredgepump;
- Design and build a testing and assembling facility for dredge valves;
- Remote control and data acquisition solutions for dredgers, booster stations and production measurement units, e.g. for after sales purposes;
- Research and development of sustainable solutions for cutter suction dredgers (CSD’s);
- Design of Class compliant CSD components, mainly regarding hull and machinery;
- Modelling, designing and testing rotating systems, such as electrically of hydraulically driven pumps and winches;
- Designing power distribution and (automated) control of electrical driven dredge pums;
- Modelling hydrodynamic behavior of a CSD in operation, including model verification on DDE’s installed base;
- Thermodynamic issues or sound related assignments.
Details of above projects can be elaborated in a job interview with the candidate.
An internship or graduation project typically consist of the following activities and results, but these items are depending per test objective, and the terms defined by the educational programme:
- Literature study;
- Design and run analytical models of physical processes (by FEM, CFD, Matlab, MathCAD,…);
- Negotiations with the supplier of components which are to be used;
- Discussing the design with other departments, such as Purchase or Work Preparation;
- CAD design and possibly (help) coordinate fabrication;
- Coordination and execution of tests at our production facilities, in the Netherlands or abroad;
- Reporting and demonstrations to stakeholders within the project;
- Taking responsibility for your own project management.
- Bachelor or Master student in Mechanical Engineering, Automotive Engineering, Naval Architecture, Electrical Engineering and/or Industrial Automation and/or Energy Technology, Dredging Engineering, Fluid Dynamics;
- Autonomous, practically and result driven. Good communication skills;
- Good command of Dutch and English.
The project will be performed at the location Nijkerk. An allowance will be given for the duration of the assignment. If applicable a temporary accommodation or a compensation for housing will be provided. Flexible working hours can be discussed. Proper mentoring at HBO or academic level.
Department InformationThe Engineering Department at Damen Dredging Equipment consists of seven teams, divided into five mechanical engineering product teams: dredger installations, stationary suction dredges, dredging pumps, parts, specials, an Electrical & Instrumentation department and a Documentation department. These product teams are supervised by an engineering project leader (team leader) and operate independently. The Damen Organisation aims to standardise equipment and parts, which lay the foundation for its engineering solutions. Our cutter suction dredges and our parts are built on-site and at locations worldwide.