Using your broad expertise as a Mechanical Engineer you will contribute to the further development of the SeaXplorer range. Your main goal is to ensure all design conditions are met and all stakeholders have the necessary relevant information to guarantee an efficient building process. Your focus as Mechanical Engineer will be on the technical spaces, ship’s systems and mechanical equipment. One of your challenge will be the limited space onboard, integrating all systems needed. You will manage a small engineering team, liaise closely with our engineering partners and maintain contact with the client and suppliers. Moreover you will ensure regulative requirements will be met.
The SeaXplorer is the world’s first purpose-built, Polar Code compliant range of expedition yachts with full capability for remote destinations – from extreme Polar to remote Tropical areas. From the very first sketches to the fully engineered range, DAMEN has designed every detail of these ruggedised yachts for the most extraordinary adventures anywhere on the planet. Visit our dedicated SeaXplorer website for more information.
Tasks & Responsibilities
Your tasks & responsibilities as Senior Engineer Mechanical include:
- Executing the four phases of engineering: design check, basic engineering, detailed engineering and production support.
- Supervising a small team of engineers and subcontractors.
- Assessing input of own employees, suppliers and partners and working closely together with all stakeholders.
- Monitoring quality and organizing interface and system integration with other disciplines and co-makers.
- Performing complex Class, strength, flow and frequency calculations.
- Supporting the Class and National Authorities approval process.
- Preparing technical space layouts, system diagrams and outfitting arrangements.
- Preparing technical specifications for systems and equipment and/or assessment of supplier specifications.
- Coordinating the outsourcing of work to subcontractors.
Do you fit our profile of Senior Engineer Mechanical? You must have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- At least five years’ experience as mechanical engineer with complex engineering projects, preferably in the yachting industry.
- Deep knowledge of the yachting industry and a ship’s mechanical systems.
- An interest in innovation and an open mindset to new technologies.
- Good communication skills and linguistic ability in preferably both English and Dutch.
- A quality conscious focus and teamwork is important to you.
- The willingness to travel on a frequent basis.
- Experience with software packages such as AutoCAD and Nupas-Cadmatic.
Here at Damen we realize supporting and managing many talented individuals is of great essence. We understand that the key to success is to find the right person for the right job. That’s why we continually invest in your development. Damen offers you (in case of full time employment):
- a dynamic international working environment focusing on technology and innovation;
- a competitive salary;
- at least 40 days of annual leave;
- travel allowance;
- profit sharing & pension allowance;
- continuous focus on professional and personal development through our Damen Academy (including Leadership & Management development programs);
- an active social environment in terms of events & sports.
For certain positions, prior to extending an offer of employment, Damen will check and verify the following information: professional references, the authenticity of identity documentation and educational credentials, an integrity statement and a Certificate of Good Conduct (CGC). For some positions an assessment may be part of the application procedure.
The Yacht Support and SeaXplorer range of vessels sits within Damen's Cruise & Offshore cluster. For the promotion of these vessel types, the product group works closely with Damen's well-known superyacht brand, Amels.
The Yacht Support brand represents a product line of purpose-built superyacht service vessels that accompany the mother ship all over the world, opening up new possibilities for the luxury yachting experience. The SeaXplorer brand consists of vessels that go beyond the superyacht circuit. True expedition yachts to take those on board off the beaten track to our planet's most adventurous destinations - in comfort and in style.
Damen and Amels are working closely together towards the continual development of these brands, including the integration of innovative technologies to reduce environmental impact to a minimum. A distinguishing feature of these markets is the high level of customer focus required. With that in mind, Damen and Amels have ensured the flexibility to integrate clients' custom touches. Typical examples include preparing the vessels for Tropical or Polar operations, helicopter installations such as fully enclosed hangars, dive centres, special tenders and toys.
In addition to product development, these brands require a range of operational activities, consisting of project management, engineering, (project) purchase and project support.