Based on a variety of vessels and markets we have different product departments at Damen. Each product department has its own specialism. The product group Tugs is responsible for all tugs that guide ships safely into the harbour. For the product group Tugs we are looking for a Design & Proposal Engineer to further develop our ship systems.
As Design & Proposal Engineer you translate customer requirements into the design of a vessel in close cooperation with our Sales department. However, there will also be questions coming aimed at developing new systems without requiring any specific customer request. You prepare ship designs and specifications, calculate costs and determine the delivery time through close collaboration with other departments within Damen (Research, Engineering, Production and Sales). In addition, your task is to develop new vessels and optimize our current product portfolio.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Designing vessels, marine electrical systems and mechanical systems in accordance with the criteria of the client;
- Preparing ship designs, specifications, cost calculations and build strategies for sales prospects;
- Optimizing (standard) designs, in order to lower the price and enhance quality, reliability and the functionality of the vessels;
- Liaising with internal departments (Research, Engineering) and external parties for optimal project results;
- Product development and optimization including market research and concept design;
- Keeping track of the overall progress in the pre-sales phase;
- Setting up a project planning (milestones), calculating supplemental work and cost savings, preparing a list of deviations and other client specific data.
- Bachelor or Master degree in Marine Engineering, or E&A with a strong interest in shipbuilding;
- You preferably have some years of experience in ship design and systems;
- Good verbal and written command of the Dutch and English language;
The Tugs department within Damen is the global leader in ship handling tugs, with 80 deliveries a year and a track record of 4000 tugs. This department continues to grow because of the international expansion of the Damen Shipyards Group and the success of the ASD and Stan Tug Series. Tugs are built at Damen yards in the Netherlands, Romania, Vietnam, China, the Middle East, Central America and South Africa. With a market share of 25% Damen is the global market leader for port and terminal tugs. The Standard Damen ASD, ATD en Stan Tug Series up to 7000 kW are constantly being improved and new types are developed.