Are you an engineer with a passion for design? Do you have affinity with the yachting industry? Then you might be the Design & Proposal Engineer Yacht Support & SeaXplorer we are looking for.
Based on a variety of vessels and markets we have different product departments within Damen. Each product department has its own specialism. One of these product groups is Yacht Support & SeaXplorer, responsible for all yacht support vessels and the SeaXplorer range specifically designed for polar expeditions. For the further development of these vessels we are looking for a Design & Proposal Engineer.
As a Design & Proposal Engineer you will handle requests from the sales department in relation to costs and technical information which are needed to sell a vessel to a customer. However, as we also focus on the future, you will be involved in the development of new systems without a specific customer in mind. You will set up the general plan and technical specifications while also being responsible for the budget and delivery time of the project. This is done in close collaboration with the Design & Proposal Engineer Shipbuilding who responsible for the appearance of the vessel such as the size, hull shape, structure and calculation of the hull stability and structural strength. More information about the SeaXplorer on SeaXplorer.nl
Tasks & Responsibilities
As a Design & Proposal Engineer you are responsible for the following activities:
- Designing vessels in accordance with the criteria of the customer;
- Exploring new applications for expansion or optimization of the existing product portfolio;
- Preparing ship designs, technical specifications, cost calculations and build strategies for sales prospects;
- Optimizing (standard) designs, in order to lower the price and enhance quality, reliability and the functionality of the vessels;
- Liaising with internal departments (Research, Engineering) and external parties for optimal project results;
- Keeping track of the overall progress in the pre-sales phase;
- Setting up a project planning (milestones), calculating supplemental work and cost savings, preparing a list of deviations and other customer specific data.
As a Design & Proposal Engineer you have the following profile:
- Bachelor or Master degree in Mechanical Engineering, Naval Architecture, Marine Engineering;
- Experience in designing a variety of vessels and yachts;
- Good verbal and written command of the English language (and preferably Dutch);
- You are customer-oriented, you have good communication skills, you are able to prioritize and you work efficiently;
- Affinity with the yachting industry, creating proposals and a commercial mindset.
Here at Damen we realize supporting and managing many talented individuals is of great essence. We understand that the key to success is to find the right person for the right job. That’s why we continually invest in your development. Damen offers you (in case of full time employment):
- a dynamic international working environment focusing on technology and innovation;
- a competitive salary;
- at least 40 days of annual leave;
- travel allowance;
- profit sharing & pension allowance;
- continuous focus on professional and personal development through our Damen Academy (including Leadership & Management development programs);
- an active social environment in terms of events & sports.
For certain positions, prior to extending an offer of employment, Damen will check and verify the following information: professional references, the authenticity of identity documentation and educational credentials, an integrity statement and a Certificate of Good Conduct (CGC). For some positions an assessment may be part of the application procedure.
The Yacht Support and SeaXplorer range of vessels sits within Damen's Cruise & Offshore cluster. For the promotion of these vessel types, the product group works closely with Damen's well-known superyacht brand, Amels.
The Yacht Support brand represents a product line of purpose-built superyacht service vessels that accompany the mother ship all over the world, opening up new possibilities for the luxury yachting experience. The SeaXplorer brand consists of vessels that go beyond the superyacht circuit. True expedition yachts to take those on board off the beaten track to our planet's most adventurous destinations - in comfort and in style.
Damen and Amels are working closely together towards the continual development of these brands, including the integration of innovative technologies to reduce environmental impact to a minimum. A distinguishing feature of these markets is the high level of customer focus required. With that in mind, Damen and Amels have ensured the flexibility to integrate clients' custom touches. Typical examples include preparing the vessels for Tropical or Polar operations, helicopter installations such as fully enclosed hangars, dive centres, special tenders and toys.
In addition to product development, these brands require a range of operational activities, consisting of project management, engineering, (project) purchase and project support.