The Research Engineer Sound and Vibrations focuses on the development of high-end technological knowledge on ship acoustics. This is done by performing research projects on source levels, inboard sound levels, underwater radiated sound levels and countermeasures. The knowledge acquired and tools developed will be shared with the Damen Shipyards Group and its various departments to ensure current and future designs and concepts of ships are constantly innovated, improved and updated to the highest standards in terms of sound and vibrations. The ultimate goal is to improve quality and performance of the products and services of the Damen Group. As Research Engineer Sound and Vibrations you closely follow the developments on (ship) acoustics in- and outside the company, by building and maintaining a network with research institutes and/or suppliers in the industry. You conduct research projects in a team as well as individually, give advice on the knowledge area and translates the developments into applications within the Damen Group.
As Research Engineer you will be part of the Research & Development Department within Damen. The department is divided into five different knowledge areas: Mechanics and Systems integration, Electrical and Automation, Noise and Vibrations, Ship Structures, and Hydromechanics. Each area provides specific technical support to the product groups, Engineering, Services, Damen Shiprepair & Conversion and affiliates in the fields of naval and mechanical engineering. The R&D department has the goal to develop knowledge in all strategically relevant technical knowledge domains and to make it accessible to the relevant stakeholders. In these technical knowledge domains, Damen strives to be among the best in the world in order to stimulate innovation based on a firm technical knowledge and to contribute to product developments throughout the Damen Group.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Providing technical advice to the Damen Group in the area of ship acoustics.
- Developing new (numerical, experimental, empirical) tools for the analysis of the ship acoustics.
- Setting up, undertaking and following up on (fundamental) research projects supporting the innovation of our product range. This also involves gaining support for your ideas, managing the stakeholders and sharing the obtained knowledge.
- Contributing in the definition of the project portfolio for the knowledge area of ship acoustics.
- Performing sound and vibration measurements for research purposes using high-end equipment.
- A Master degree in Marine Technology or Mechanical Engineering (preferably).
- Experience and thorough understanding of (ship) acoustics, structure-borne and air-borne sound.
- Preferably knowledge of numerical tools (such as SEA, Dynamic FEA and BEM) and experimental tools (such as (O)TPA and modal analysis).
- Good command of written and spoken language skills in both Dutch and English.
- An independent, critical, accurate, analytical, customer-oriented personality with good communication skills.
Here at Damen we realize supporting and managing many talented individuals is of great essence. We understand that the key to success is to find the right person for the right job. That’s why we continually invest in your development. Damen offers you (in case of full time employment):
- a dynamic international working environment focusing on technology and innovation;
- a competitive salary;
- at least 40 days of annual leave;
- 2 genius hours per week;
- travel allowance;
- profit sharing & pension allowance;
- continuous focus on professional and personal development through our Damen Academy (including Leadership & Management development programs);
- an active social environment in terms of events & sports.
For certain positions, prior to extending an offer of employment, Damen will check and verify the following information: professional references, the authenticity of identity documentation and educational credentials, an integrity statement and a Certificate of Good Conduct (CGC). For some positions an assessment may be part of the application procedure.
Damen Shipyards Gorinchem, headquarters of the Damen Shipyards Group, is a well-known leading international shipyard. Damen Shipyards Group operates more than 32 shipyards, repair yards and related companies worldwide with a total turnover of 1.7 billion Euro. At Damen Shipyards Gorinchem we design and build a wide range of products including tugs, workboats, naval and patrol vessels, high speed craft, dredgers, vessels for the offshore industry, ferries, pontoons and cargo vessels. Damen delivers more than 180 vessels each year. In fact, we have built more than 6,000 ships since 1969. Our clients include contractors, oil companies, port authorities, offshore companies and maritime service providers.