The current trend of automation and data exchange, called Industry 4.0, is rapidly changing the way products are manufactured nowadays. To cope with this development Damen Research & Development would like to expand its expertise into the field of production optimization.
Are you a Research Engineer specialized in ship production and do you want to help Damen innovate the future? You will lead innovative/practical research projects including; investigating the applicability of 3D printing, executing manufacturing simulations to evaluate and optimize the production process and investigating the potential of industrial robotic systems in production. You will also explore the market on innovative solutions and connect those with the business units and production facilities. In this role you will collaborate closely with our R&D team and the Yard Support department.
As a Research Engineer Production Optimization you will be part of the Research & Development Department within Damen. The department is divided into five different knowledge areas: Mechanics and Systems integration, Electrical and Automation, Noise and Vibrations, Ship Structures, and Hydromechanics. Each area provides specific technical support to the product groups, Engineering Services and affiliates in the fields of naval and mechanical engineering. The R&D department furthermore undertakes specific studies for the development of future ship designs, and in general, expands the knowledge base within the Damen Group.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Leading innovative and practical research projects in the field of production optimization.
- Collaboration with our production locations, suppliers, universities and knowledge/research institutes.
- Promoting your field of research and convincing the Damen management and yard directors based on technical expertise.
- Sharing and gaining knowledge of the industry and being up to date with the developments in the field of robotics, 3D printing and manufacturing simulation.
- A MSc degree in Ship Production (3D printing, manufacturing simulation, industrial robotics).
- At least five years’ relevant experience in the field of production optimization.
- The ability to convince and influence various stakeholders with your natural ability to communicate in an effective manner.
- Experience with a project lead role in the past.
- A customer focused, goal oriented personality with a practical attitude and analytical skills.
- Good communication skills and linguistic ability in English (and preferably Dutch).
Here at Damen we realize supporting and managing many talented individuals is of great essence. We understand that the key to success is to find the right person for the right job. That’s why we continually invest in your development. Damen offers you (in case of full time employment):
- a dynamic international working environment focusing on technology and innovation;
- a competitive salary;
- at least 40 days of annual leave (fulltime contract);
- 2 genius hours per week;
- travel allowance;
- profit sharing & pension allowance;
- continuous focus on professional and personal development through our Damen Academy (including Leadership & Management development programs);
- an active social environment in terms of events & sports.
For certain positions, prior to extending an offer of employment, Damen will check and verify the following information: professional references, the authenticity of identity documentation and educational credentials, an integrity statement and a Certificate of Good Conduct (CGC). For some positions an assessment may be part of the application procedure.
Damen Shipyards Gorinchem, headquarters of the Damen Shipyards Group, is a well-known leading international shipyard. Damen Shipyards Group operates more than 32 shipyards, repair yards and related companies worldwide with a total turnover of 1.7 billion Euro. At Damen Shipyards Gorinchem we design and build a wide range of products including tugs, workboats, naval and patrol vessels, high speed craft, dredgers, vessels for the offshore industry, ferries, pontoons and cargo vessels. Damen delivers more than 180 vessels each year. In fact, we have built more than 6,000 ships since 1969. Our clients include contractors, oil companies, port authorities, offshore companies and maritime service providers.