The objective of this research is to clarify to what extend safety in design is currently included in the end to end processes of creating a vessel.
This research will result in a GAP analysis, identification of the blind spots and the possible improvement areas. In order to make it more concrete, a specific ship type will be followed.
This internship will be a collaboration between Damen Shipyards Gorinchem, Marine Design Engineering Mykolayiv and Damen Song Cam Shipyards. The study has an international approach to ensure a complete chain from first draft to detail engineering/work preparation.
The internship will be under HSEQ authority in close consultation with other “technical” departments.
Tasks & Responsibilities
Your tasks & responsibilities include:
- Finalize the scope of the project and create the project plan (including milestones and progress reporting);
- Bring in and apply methods for technical design risk assessments;
- Initiate and maintain contact with different departments within Damen;
- Perform interviews with interested parties;
- Prepare and present the GAP analysis on safety in design (deliverable);
- Design a technically valid proposal, based on a chosen ship type, for the improvement of safety in design.
For this assessment we are looking for a student with the capacity to combine technical knowledge of shipbuilding with relations management. It is of utmost importance to get a good relationship with different departments on this topic (salesman qualities). Are you:
- Studying Mechanical, Maritime, Civil or Industrial Engineering (preferably with a specialization in Design, Production & Operations);
- Able to work independently in a diverse environment;
- Fluent in verbal and written English;
- Open minded and interested in different cultures;
- And prepared to endorse the company policies and ambitions of Damen?
Damen Shipyards Gorinchem, headquarters of the Damen Shipyards Group, is a well-known leading international shipyard. Damen Shipyards Group operates more than 32 shipyards, repair yards and related companies worldwide with a total turnover of 1.7 billion Euro. At Damen Shipyards Gorinchem we design and build a wide range of products including tugs, workboats, naval and patrol vessels, high speed craft, dredgers, vessels for the offshore industry, ferries, pontoons and cargo vessels. Damen delivers more than 180 vessels each year. In fact, we have built more than 6,000 ships since 1969. Our clients include contractors, oil companies, port authorities, offshore companies and maritime service providers.