As a System and mechanical Development Engineer you will support the product development departments with expert advice and advanced simulations on different aspects that affect the performance of our mechanical and digital systems.
The Development Engineers is above all an expert and a technical consultant. Together with a multi-disciplinary team of 4 to 8 development engineers, and in consultation with the other R&D Engineers you provide expert technical advice and will be responsible for the initiation and realization of relevant research and development projects. You will support the implementation of new technologies in existing and conceptual designs of ships and ensure proper application of fundamental principles of relevant technologies. You will work closely with other departments within the Damen group, such as Design & Proposal, Engineering, Services, Production and Damen clients and suppliers. Furthermore you will also be responsible for following and pushing forward further developments in the industry both inside and outside the company and ensuring this developed knowledge is shared within and throughout the Damen Group.
The Development Engineer plays a key role in implementing the knowledge that has been developed by the R&D department into the products and concept developments of the Business Unit High Speed Craft (technology push) and to promote knowledge development relevant to the Business Unit (technology pull).
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Maintaining a network of internal stakeholders and suppliers.
- Providing expert technical advice to the business unit High Speed Craft regarding the product range and it’s functionality, performance and quality on a consultancy basis
- Knowledge management
- Participating in Research projects
- Master degree in System engineering, Mechanics, Naval Architecture or equivalent.
- 0 to 3 years relevant working experience.
- All-rounder with broad interests
- Experience with Matlab Simulink, Python or equivalent
- Sufficient knowledge / Interest in on naval architecture
- Interest in monitoring technologies
- Planning and result focused.
- Good communication skills and customer-oriented.
- Good command of English is required, both verbal and writing skills. Dutch is preferred
Here at Damen we realize supporting and managing many talented individuals is of great essence. We understand that the key to success is to find the right person for the right job. That’s why we continually invest in your development. Damen offers you (in case of full time employment):
- a dynamic international working environment focusing on technology and innovation;
- a competitive salary;
- at least 40 days of annual leave;
- 2 genius hours per week;
- travel allowance;
- profit sharing & pension allowance;
- continuous focus on professional and personal development through our Damen Academy (including Leadership & Management development programs);
- an active social environment in terms of events & sports.
For certain positions, prior to extending an offer of employment, Damen will check and verify the following information: professional references, the authenticity of identity documentation and educational credentials, an integrity statement and a Certificate of Good Conduct (CGC). For some positions an assessment may be part of the application procedure.
Department InformationThe Research & Development (R&D) department gives support to, and collaborates very closely with, the Damen business units and sister companies in the development of an innovative product portfolio. The R&D department aspires to critically check designs and concepts and to proactively give technical advices to improve quality and performance of the products and services. In addition there is a proactive collaboration with the Business Development, the Business Units, Services and the Repair & Conversion branch of the Damen Group. The R&D department has the goal to develop knowledge in all strategically relevant technical knowledge domains and to make it accessible to the relevant stakeholders. In these technical knowledge domains, Damen wants to be among the best in the world in order to stimulate innovation based on a sound technical knowledge and to contribute to product developments throughout the Damen Group. In this role the R&D department and especially the development teams critically follow the technological developments and act independently from the business units.