As a Research Engineer Mechanics and Systems, you support the product development by technical consultancy to improve the performance of our ships.
The Research Engineer is an expert in the field of mechanical engineering and system integration. Together with a team of 4 Research engineers, you provide technical consultancy and are responsible for the initiation and realization of R&D projects. You support the implementation of new technologies for existing and new ships designs. Your role is to ensure proper application of the fundamental principles for relevant technologies. You work closely with other internal departments, suppliers and knowledge institutes. Furthermore, you follow and push technical developments within and outside the company. Finally, you share this developed knowledge within the Damen Group.
The Research engineer plays a key role in scanning technical developments outside Damen and implement the knowledge into the Damen portfolio (technology push). At the same time, you maintain a strategic development agenda for universities and suppliers to steer knowledge development relevant for Damen (technology pull).
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Providing technical consultancy within Damen in the field of mechanical engineering and system integration.
- Participating in Research projects for knowledge development.
- Support the development of innovative systems related to your field of expertise.
- Maintaining a network of internal stakeholders, knowledge institutes and suppliers.
- Knowledge management.
- Master degree in Mechanical Engineering, Marine Technology or equivalent.
- 0 to 3 years relevant working experience.
- All-rounder with broad interests.
- Familiar with time domain simulations.
- Sufficient knowledge / interest in maritime industry.
- Interest in monitoring technologies.
- Self-organized with a focus on planning and results.
- Good communication skills and customer-oriented.
- English speaking and writing is required. Dutch is an advantage.
Here at Damen we realize supporting and managing many talented individuals is of great essence. We believe the key to success is to find the right person for the job. That’s why we continually invest in your development. Damen offers you (in case of full time employment):
- a dynamic international working environment focusing on technology and innovation;
- a competitive salary;
- at least 40 days of annual leave;
- 2 genius hours per week;
- travel allowance;
- profit sharing & pension allowance;
- continuous focus on professional and personal development through our Damen Academy (including Leadership & Management development programs);
- an active social environment in terms of events & sports.
For certain positions, prior to extending an offer of employment, Damen will check and verify the following information: professional references, the authenticity of identity documentation and educational credentials, an integrity statement and a Certificate of Good Conduct (CGC). For some positions an assessment may be part of the application procedure.
Damen Shipyards Gorinchem, headquarters of the Damen Shipyards Group, is a well-known leading international shipyard. Damen Shipyards Group operates more than 32 shipyards, repair yards and related companies worldwide with a total turnover of 1.7 billion Euro. At Damen Shipyards Gorinchem we design and build a wide range of products including tugs, workboats, naval and patrol vessels, high speed craft, dredgers, vessels for the offshore industry, ferries, pontoons and cargo vessels. Damen delivers more than 180 vessels each year. In fact, we have built more than 6,000 ships since 1969. Our clients include contractors, oil companies, port authorities, offshore companies and maritime service providers.