The robust growth of Damen Shipyards in recent years has led to increasing demands on Corporate Finance generally and on Treasury more specifically. The analysis and optimization of the short term and medium term Group cash flow is essential. Equally important is the professional approach towards financing of current and new business activities, organic and acquisitive growth. Add to that, the ever increasing size, complexity and duration for customer finance solutions (both financing and leasing) for in the main the purchased vessels, should make this a challenging and demanding role requiring an outstanding professional who can add value through the further improvement and centralization of Treasury activities, taking a more strategic approach. The ideal candidate should also be capable to professionally and proactively manage the relationships with a wide range of stakeholders from financial institutions.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Manage the Treasury and Customer Finance activities, provide leadership and oversight for all of Damen’s treasury and financing activities and maximize the added value for Damen and its customers;
- Assist in determining the financial viability of strategic plans;
- Take firm ownership of the Damen Finance Functional Plan (a plan formulated to further professionalize the finance function focusing on improvement of skills, processes and systems), thereby raising professional standards and implement best practices;
- In close cooperation with the CFO, evaluate and improve treasury and corporate finance policies, procedures and infrastructure in order to: enhance visibility and optimize management of Group liquidity; optimize the funding of the Group; manage the process to arrange holding and bank guarantees; manage foreign exchange and interest rate exposure.
- The adequate and integrated management of the Group capital structure including the corporate and asset financing, customer finance & leasing activities in close cooperation with Sales, Legal and Tax, and in accordance with strategic and financial objectives and planning;
- Advise about and assist with structuring of the various financing arrangements including determining and negotiating appropriate terms & conditions;
- Develop and maintain appropriate and productive relationships with all external relations and financial institutions;
- Monitor and ensure compliance with all covenants and reporting requirements as prescribed by the various financing arrangements;
- Daily cash management for all Group companies globally in order to ensure optimum use of and availability of sufficient liquidity as well as the appropriate management of foreign exchange and interest rate risk;
- The timely and accurate delivery of the required Treasury and Financing reports to the Executive Board, One Tier Board and the Audit Committee;
- Provision of proactive support of the sales organization with all treasury related issues including the dissemination of leasing propositions, local financing alternatives, management of forex exposure, etc.
Reports to: CFO
- Manager Customer Finance department, this departments consist of 4 employees;
- Treasury department, this department consists of 6 employees;
- Manager Leasing, 1 employee, leasing activities are expected to increase.
Other key internal relationships:
- Executive Board;
- One Tier Board;
- Audit Committee;
- Tax, Mergers & Acquisitions;
- Finance, Accounting, Business Controllers, Sales and Business Development.
- All banks, credit insurance companies and other financial institutions/financiers, finance & treasury advisors and other strategic finance partners.
- More than 12 years’ experience with treasury and corporate finance in an international enterprise with a multi-billion Euro turnover. Ideally, experience has been gained with an internationally operating shipyard or project organization;
- Extensive knowledge of and experience with corporate finance & financial engineering;
- Experienced in leading a treasury organization, having gained previous operational experience with e.g. cash management and cash forecasting, forex and interest management, optimization of working capital, and treasury control;
- Well connected in a broad network of treasury professionals and other relevant contacts at financial institutions;
- Working knowledge of relevant systems and software applications;
- Relevant Master’s degree and additional knowledge-expanding education;
- Fluency in English; proficiency in other languages would be a plus;
- Pre-selection screening and assessments can be part of the application process.
- Proven leadership skills leveraging natural and professional authority to have impact;
- Champion of corporate core values and business principles who leads by example;
- A team player who enjoys technical challenges within a dynamic international environment;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and able to develop productive and trusted relationships quickly and adjust own style to suit audience and achieve objectives;
- Flexible, able to challenge the status quo and drive through change and efficiency;
- Organizational sensitivity and the capacity to gage the different interests of the various stakeholders and to effectively navigate the organizational relationships;
- Manages complex and conflicting priorities with ease and applies sound judgement in successful task planning and execution;
- Self-starter who takes initiative and responsibility;
- Service minded, hands-on and result driven; meets deadlines with a reputation for successful execution and delivery;
- Diligent with strong attention to detail;
- Strong in stakeholder management, gaining the trust of the Executive Board and other internal and external stakeholders;
- Aware of and capable to achieve results with different cultural backgrounds across the Group;
- Coach with great staff development skills who can inspire his/her team to raise individual and team performance to new heights;
- Outstanding communication (verbal and written) and relationship management skills;
- Strong negotiating skills;
- Analytically strong problem solver who is adept at converting ideas and concepts into concrete proposals and financing arrangements.
Company InformationEstablished in 1927, the Damen Shipyards Group is a customer oriented, 100% Dutch family owned international group of companies which operates 33 shipbuilding and repair yards, employing 9,300 people worldwide. Damen has delivered more than 6,000 vessels in more than 100 countries and delivers some 200 vessels annually to customers worldwide. Damen designs and builds innovative vessels and based on its unique, standardized ship-design concept Damen is able to guarantee consistent quality supported by a worldwide network of sales and services. Annual production value amounts to approximately EUR 2bln. Damen's focus on standardization, modular construction and maintaining vessels in stock leads to short delivery times, low 'total cost of ownership', high resale values and reliable performance. Furthermore, Damen vessels are based on thorough R&D and proven technology. Damen offers a wide range of products, including tugs, workboats, naval and patrol vessels, high speed craft, cargo vessels, dredgers, vessels for the offshore industry, ferries, pontoons and superyachts. For nearly all vessel types Damen offers a broad range of services, including maintenance, spare parts delivery, training and the transfer of (shipbuilding) know-how. Damen also offers a variety of marine components, such as nozzles, rudders, anchors, anchor chains and steel works. In addition to ship design and shipbuilding, Damen Shiprepair & Conversion has a worldwide network of 16 repair and conversion yards with dry docks ranging up to 420 x 80 meters. Conversion projects range from adapting vessels to today's requirements and regulations to the complete conversion of large offshore structures. DS&C completes around 1,500 repair and maintenance jobs annually.