For our R&D department in Damen Shipyards Singapore, fully integrated in the global R&D organization of 80+ experts, we are searching for a full-time Research & Development Engineer for a permanent role.
The R&D organization is the preferred (in-house) knowledge hub to support Damen Group with pro-active technical advising. In the role of R&D Engineer, you will work as part of an R&D Team carrying out sea-keeping, speed prediction and other hydromechanics tasks. After a successful initial period, responsibilities will be adjusted to your level of expertise, company needs and your own development wishes. In a longer term you will be integrated in our knowledge hub for hydromechanics and work on challenging projects.
Tasks & Responsibilities
Work as part of an R&D team with the following responsibilities for analyses related to work-boats and other ship-types:
- Carry out seakeeping analysis in Precal and/or QShip;
- Carry out speed predictions based on in-house tools;
- Other hydromechanics analysis;
- Take part in research projects to improve internal capabilities as required;
- Create and file memos and reports on the projects;
- Communicate outcomes and advice on improvement opportunities to internal clients;
- Actively participate in idea generation aiming for improvement of the Damen product portfolio.
- Good knowledge about Naval Architecture and Hydromechanics;
- Exhibit a “can-do” and solution oriented attitude;
- Able to plan, carry out, report progress and accurately complete assigned tasks;
- Take pride in proactively providing innovative and novel solutions to classical ship-design problems;
- Working proficient English both verbal and written;
- Master’s or Bachelor’s degree with relevant specialization;
- Both fresh graduates and professionals are welcome to apply.
Any experience with Matlab or Python or a different programming language will be appreciated but is not essential.
Company InformationIn the year 2000 the Damen Shipyards Group purchased this modern facility from the Kvaerner Group of Norway. The company was renamed Damen Shipyards Singapore and the existing management and workforce was retained, bringing their high skill levels and extensive experience in aluminium vessel building with them. Under the previous ownership more than 40 high-speed vessels were successfully built and delivered over a 10- year period. Since the Damen take over, the yard has delivered in excess of 50 aluminium vessels, including fast ferries, crew boats, pilot vessels, patrol vessels and personnel launches. Damen Shipyards Singapore’s main activities relate to new building and the repair of high-speed aluminium vessels.