For our R&D department in Damen Shipyards Singapore, fully integrated in the global R&D organization of 60+ experts, we are searching for a full-time Junior Research & Development Engineer to be trained in-house for a permanent role.
The R&D organization is the preferred (in-house) knowledge hub to support the Damen Group with pro-active technical advices. In the role of Software Engineer, you work in cooperation with other R&D colleagues specialized in research and development of our vessels and optimization tools. After a successful initial period, responsibilities will be adjusted to your level of expertise, company needs and your own development wishes.
Tasks & Responsibilities
Work under the supervision of a R&D Engineer to:
- Develop software that fosters the process standardization of structural design, CFD analysis etc. Detailed duties include:
- Understand client requirements, advise and take part in problem construction
- Draft software requirement specification (SRS) and software design document (SDD)
- Dedicated to software development and testing along project period
- Assist in software architecture of the simulation platform
- Take part in software manual draft and update
- Assist in software versioning and revision control after delivery
Required Skills and Traits
- More than 1 year of experience in software development roles including architect, developer and tester
- Proficiency in Matlab or Python or a different language
- Able to plan, carry out, report progress and accurately complete assigned tasks alone and in a team
- Able to cope under normal time pressure and persist to highlight issues and problems under her/his review
- Strong communication skills with clients and peer developers
- Working proficient English both verbal and written
- Bachelor with Computer Science/Engineering specialization, or other relevant background
- Ability to work on multiple projects at one time
- Agile software development experience such as Scrum
- Basic engineering understanding
Company InformationIn the year 2000 the Damen Shipyards Group purchased this modern facility from the Kvaerner Group of Norway. The company was renamed Damen Shipyards Singapore and the existing management and workforce was retained, bringing their high skill levels and extensive experience in aluminium vessel building with them. Under the previous ownership more than 40 high-speed vessels were successfully built and delivered over a 10- year period. Since the Damen take over, the yard has delivered in excess of 50 aluminium vessels, including fast ferries, crew boats, pilot vessels, patrol vessels and personnel launches. Damen Shipyards Singapore’s main activities relate to new building and the repair of high-speed aluminium vessels.