For our R&D department in Damen Shipyards Singapore, fully integrated in the global R&D organization of 70+ experts, we are searching for a full-time Research & Development Engineer for a permanent role.
The R&D organization is the preferred (in-house) knowledge hub to support Damen Group with pro-active technical advising. In the role of R&D Engineer, you will work as part of an R&D Team carrying out basic FEM analysis, numerical optimization and other structure-related tasks. After a successful initial period, responsibilities will be adjusted to your level of expertise, company needs and your own development wishes. In a longer term you will be integrated in our knowledge hub for structure analysis and work on challenging projects.
Tasks & Responsibilities
Work as part of an R&D team with the following responsibilities for analyses related to ship structures:
- Carry out FEM analysis by commercial software;
- Carry out structure analysis by in-house tools;
- Develop simple in-house tools for structure analysis;
- Coordinate FEM work (FEM planning, quality control on FEM analysis and report)
- Take part in research projects to improve internal capabilities as required;
- Create and file memos and reports on the projects;
- Communicate outcomes and advice on improvement opportunities to internal clients;
- Actively participate in idea generation with the wider team.
- PhD or Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in mechanical/civil engineering;
- Excellent knowledge in structure analysis;
- Be able to evaluate structure performance by analytical method;
- Basic knowledge on Finite Element Method or other numerical methods;
- Exhibit a “can-do” and solution oriented attitude;
- Be able to plan, carry out, report progress and accurately complete assigned tasks;
- Working proficient English both verbal and written;
- Experience with FEM or other numerical method code programming will be appreciated;
- Both fresh graduates and professionals are welcome to apply.
Company InformationIn the year 2000 the Damen Shipyards Group purchased this modern facility from the Kvaerner Group of Norway. The company was renamed Damen Shipyards Singapore and the existing management and workforce was retained, bringing their high skill levels and extensive experience in aluminium vessel building with them. Under the previous ownership more than 40 high-speed vessels were successfully built and delivered over a 10- year period. Since the Damen take over, the yard has delivered in excess of 50 aluminium vessels, including fast ferries, crew boats, pilot vessels, patrol vessels and personnel launches. Damen Shipyards Singapore’s main activities relate to new building and the repair of high-speed aluminium vessels.