The R&D Department, with his worldwide team of 70+ specialists, gives support to and collaborates very closely with the Damen Groups companies and business units in the innovation of our product portfolio. The department critically check designs and concepts and proactively give technical advices to improve quality and performance of the products and services. In addition, there is a proactive collaboration with Engineering, Services and the Repair & Conversion departments of the Damen Group. The R&D Department has the goal to develop knowledge in all strategically relevant technical domains and to make it accessible to the relevant stakeholders.
In our R&D center in Singapore, we are looking for an R & D Engineer specialized in CFD for the development of high-end technological knowledge in CFD as well as conducting analysis and optimization of our ship design and components by CFD.
The knowledge and tools developed are made available to the Damen Group to facilitate an excellent support of product development. A wide variety of 3rd party and in-house developed tools are available to perform both static and dynamic simulations.
The R&D engineer specialized in CFD closely follows the developments on hydromechanics and CFD both in and outside the company, by building and maintaining a network with research institutes and/or suppliers in the industry. He or she conducts projects in a team as well as individually, gives advice on the knowledge area and translates the developments into applications within the Damen company.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Providing specific technical advice at expert level in the field of ship hydromechanics by CFD.
- Setup, undertake and follow up on (fundamental) research projects supporting the innovation of our product range. This also involves gaining support for your ideas, manage the stakeholders and share the obtained knowledge.
- Develop applications serving the standardised use of CFD for the evaluation of the performance of vessels.
- Carrying out feasibility studies of new innovative concepts.
- Numerically analysing the performance of ships with a troubleshooting character. By performing calculations and sporadically carrying out measurements, you provide advice for improvements.
- Master or PhD degree, preferably graduated in Maritime Engineering, Naval Architecture, Maritime Technology or Offshore Technology.
- Minimal 2 years relevant working experience as a naval architect or as a specialist on ship optimization by CFD.
- An academic or applied research background in CFD. Demonstrate problem solving skills and an inquisitive nature. Demonstrate a primary research interest in examining the physical world using CFD.
- Interest in product development/innovation.
- Some experience working in a commercial environment.
- Interest in mentoring and overseeing more junior colleagues.
- Experience with Numeca Fine/Marine is preferred but not essential.
- Familiar with programming (MATLAB and/or Python is preferred but not essential).
- Good communication/customer-oriented skills.
- Independent, practical attitude, critical and analytical.
- Good English skills.
Company InformationIn the year 2000 the Damen Shipyards Group purchased this modern facility from the Kvaerner Group of Norway. The company was renamed Damen Shipyards Singapore and the existing management and workforce was retained, bringing their high skill levels and extensive experience in aluminium vessel building with them. Under the previous ownership more than 40 high-speed vessels were successfully built and delivered over a 10- year period. Since the Damen take over, the yard has delivered in excess of 50 aluminium vessels, including fast ferries, crew boats, pilot vessels, patrol vessels and personnel launches. Damen Shipyards Singapore’s main activities relate to new building and the repair of high-speed aluminium vessels.