Are you a mechanical/marine engineer with experience in defining the arrangements of technical spaces within a ship and/or designing the propulsion layout of a vessel? And do you want to work within the exciting technical environment of Naval Shipbuilding? Then you may be the person we are looking for and are invited to apply for the job of Arrangement Engineer at Damen Schelde in Vlissingen.
We are looking for a mechanical/marine engineer from shipbuilding or related industry, familiar with defining the arrangement of technical spaces and propulsion layout design.
The arrangement engineer will be allocated by the line manager Marine & Propulsion to the projects (every ship is a project) where work will be carried out. During the execution of the basic engineering phase of a project the arrangement engineer reports functionally to the dedicated project manager engineering. Hierarchically the arrangement engineer will report to line management of the Marine and Propulsion department.
Next to working for engineering the arrangement engineer can also be asked to work for other departments for such tasks as generating of a proposal for a customer for the projects and proposal department or transfer of knowledge to the our yards in Galatz (Romania) and Vlissingen-Oost. Sporadically the arrangement engineer may be asked to travel for instance to one of our yards.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Technical spaces such as the engine room, steering room and pump rooms.
- Alignment of propulsion components such as main engines, gearboxes, shafting arrangements, based upon ship specification, general arrangement plan, design drawings, supplier information, norms, rules, and standards considering the requirements of all stakeholders.
- Definition and maintenance of the arrangements in 3D CAD (NUPAS Cadmatic)
- Making of detail drawings of propeller shafts, bearings and other component including machining drawings.
- Providing advice and guidance in solving technical issues pertaining arrangements and propulsion layout/design.
- Involvement of all stakeholders in proposed solutions and alternatives in order to get consensus for the final solution.
- Following the applicable procedures, guidelines and standards.
- Bachelor degree in mechanical engineering (or equivalency through experience).
- A minimum of 2 years experience in similar function.
- Experience in designing in CADMATIC (3D).
- Experience in design of detail drawing in Microstation or AutoCAD (2D).
- Familiar with standards, norms, Dutch and foreign guidelines.
- Good communication skills in Dutch as well as in English.
The Marine & Propulsion department within Engineering is responsible for specification, selection and integration of mechanical systems installed on ships based upon specifications, regulations and in close cooperation with suppliers, purchasing, sales and other departments. The scope envelops all complex mechanical systems like propulsion, auxiliary systems and HVAC.
The department Marine & Propulsion department is the part of engineering that:
- Determines the mechanical systems.
- Integrates the propulsive driveline into the vessel.
- Provides the necessary technical diagrams.
- Routes the piping, tubing and cabling in the vessel design in 3D (NUPAS/CADMATIC).
- Carries out and supports external parties during the 2D detail design phase.
- Provides supports to the yard during the build phase on all above subjects.