The Strategic Purchaser develops, improves and ensures professional relationships with (strategic) subcontractors and suppliers. Initiates market research and monitors and reports cost trends for key commodities. Leads a category team in purchasing materials and products and outsourcing activities.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Develop professional relationships in the marketplace to understand industry changes which may impact the company’s business,
- Monitor and report on cost trends for key commodities.
- Ensure all supplier contracts are complete, properly executed and have considered all cost variables.
- Research, qualify and evaluate on a project basis (Int.) national suppliers & sub-contractors.
- Initiate market research and enhance supplier development to build up/maintain/ensure a suitable (strategic)supply base
- Drive improvement processes with (strategic) subcontractors and/or suppliers based upon supplier qualification and/or evaluation.
- Ensure supply contingency plans are in place in case key suppliers are unable to perform as required.
- Develop, initiate & maintain project related terms & conditions.
- Responsible for creating unambiguous processes / procedures / preconditions for the acquisition process (project-based and non-project-based).
- Leading a category team, define category strategies, implement and execute strategy (with relation to both strategic and non-strategic suppliers).
- Define procurement budgets for P&P.
- Provide reliable information for budget and cost price calculations.
- Develop and maintaining quotation evaluations and key figures.
- Purchase products and materials and outsource activities (specifying, selecting, evaluating, contracting, contract mgt. and aftercare).
- Set up proposals for standardization, develop framework contracts and monitor and maintain them.
- A Master degree preferably in a technical direction such as Mechanical Engineering.
- Nevi-1, Nevi-2and preferably Nevi-3.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in a technical environment.
- Experience with complex Projects and project management.
- Substantive knowledge of / experience with strategic sourcing principles.
- Strong negotiation skills and assertiveness in combination with an independent, well structured, and hands-on mentality.
- Good command of the Dutch & English language (written & verbal).
- Ability to frequently travel long distances and work abroad.
Department informationThe Operations department at Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding is the beating heart of the realization process (production process) of complex vessels for our Dutch and foreign customers, like navy and coastguard organizations. The Operations team contains all vital functional specializations needed for an efficient realization of the projects. Within Operations several teams are operating, such as Project Management, Engineering, Purchasing, Logistics, Production and Commissioning.