Based on a variety of vessels and markets we have different product departments at Damen. Each product department has its own specialism. One of these product groups is Cruise, responsible for the design of a variety of cruise ships. For the Cruise, Ropax and Offshore department, located in Schiedam (Rotterdam area), we are looking for a Design & Proposal Engineer (Naval Architect).
As a Design & Proposal Engineer you translate customer requirements into the design of a vessel in close cooperation with our Sales department. You prepare ship designs (Naval Architecture) and specifications, calculate costs and determine the delivery time through close collaboration with other departments within Damen (Research, Engineering, Production and Sales). In addition, your task is to develop new vessels and optimize our current product portfolio.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Designing vessels in accordance with the requirements of the client;
- Providing technical support to the Damen Sales organization during the contracting process, for example by giving presentations or providing calculations;
- Optimizing (standard) designs, in order to lower the price and enhance quality, reliability and the functionality of the vessels;
- Liaising with internal departments (Research, Engineering) and external parties for optimal project results;
- Keeping track of the overall progress in the pre-sales phase;
- Product development and optimization including market research and concept design;
- Setting up a project planning (milestones), calculating supplemental work and cost savings, preparing a list of deviations and other client specific data;
- Preparing ship designs, specifications, cost calculations and build strategies for sales prospects.
- Bachelor or Master degree in Naval Architecture;
- At least five years relevant work experience in ship design;
- Experience with cruise ships is highly preferred;
- You master excellent communication skills, preferably in Dutch and English;
- You are customer-oriented, flexible and find it a challenge to work on various projects at the same time. You have excellent communication skills and can express yourself well in a business conversation.
An assessment and pre-employment screening will be part of the application process.
Here at Damen we realize supporting and managing many talented individuals is of great essence. We understand that the key to success is to find the right person for the right job. That’s why we continually invest in your development. Damen offers you (in case of full time employment):
- a dynamic international working environment focusing on technology and innovation;
- a competitive salary;
- at least 40 days of annual leave;
- travel allowance;
- profit sharing & pension allowance;
- continuous focus on professional and personal development through our Damen Academy;
- an active social environment in terms of business culture, events & sports.
Damen Shipbuilding Rotterdam is part of the new build division of Damen Shipyards Group. It is a new kid on the block for building quality vessels in the markets Cruise, RoPax and Offshore (CRO). Damen Shipbuilding Rotterdam operates one yard, located in Romania with docks up to 48 and 60 meter width (Damen Mangalia). The Damen CRO team is strategically located in Rotterdam area, The Netherlands. In close cooperation with Damen engineering companies in Poland, Finland and Ukraine complex engineering is being done assuring operational excellence and safety.