The Research Engineer Automation executes research projects related to automation and system integration. You provide expert advice in the field of automation and systems engineering on the technical performance of ships to the relevant departments within the Damen Shipyards Group. Your main aim is that all delivered ships, both now and in the future, satisfy the specific technical requirements of all stakeholders involved. Furthermore you follow and push forward the developments both inside and outside the company and ensure that the developed knowledge is spread throughout the Damen Group.
As a Research Engineer Automation you will be part of the Research & Development Department within Damen. The department is divided into five different knowledge areas: Mechanics and Systems integration, Electrical and Automation, Noise and Vibrations, Ship Structures, and Hydromechanics. Each area provides specific technical support to the product groups, Engineering Services and affiliates in the fields of naval and mechanical engineering. The R&D department furthermore undertakes specific studies for the development of future ship designs, and in general, expands the knowledge base within the Damen Group.
Tasks & Responsibilities
Your tasks & responsibilities as Research Engineer Automation include:
- Providing specific expert technical advice in the field of automation and system integration for both existing and conceptual designs of ships. Often following requests for support in relation to specific issues and issues of a troubleshooting nature;
- Supporting other departments with the review of automation (system) designs and component choices which have been made by our suppliers;
- Assisting with the evaluation of the technical performance of ships during engineering, production and commissioning phases;
- Supporting “automation” troubleshooting activities. In other words, you have to plan, execute and analyze measurements to come to a solution. Where required you initiate and support improvement-projects that lead to improved designs for future ships;
- Being actively involved in maintaining the automation research portfolio and carrying out research projects individually or with others.
Do you fit our profile of Research Engineer Automation? You must have:
- A Master degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering with a specialization in control engineering or a relevant other specialization;
- At least two years’ relevant experience in the field of automation and systems;
- Knowledge of advanced model based control methods;
- Up to date knowledge of industrial and embedded automation systems;
- Having an interest in human factors in automation;
- Knowledge of ship propulsion and marine system integration (is considered a plus);
- Familiarity with classification and rules and regulations in various countries;
- Experience of working on a project basis (plus);
- Conversant with MATLAB and or Simulink;
- An independent, critical, analytical, customer-oriented, good communication skills;
Here at Damen we realize supporting and managing many talented individuals is of great essence. We understand that the key to success is to find the right person for the right job. That’s why we continually invest in your development. Damen offers you (in case of full time employment):
- a dynamic international working environment focusing on technology and innovation;
- a competitive salary;
- at least 40 days of annual leave;
- 2 genius hours per week;
- travel allowance;
- profit sharing & pension allowance;
- continuous focus on professional and personal development through our Damen Academy (including Leadership & Management development programs);
- an active social environment in terms of events & sports.
For certain positions, prior to extending an offer of employment, Damen will check and verify the following information: professional references, the authenticity of identity documentation and educational credentials, an integrity statement and a Certificate of Good Conduct (CGC). For some positions an assessment may be part of the application procedure.
Department InformationThe Research & Development (R&D) department gives support to, and collaborates very closely with, the Damen business units and sister companies in the development of an innovative product portfolio. The R&D department aspires to critically check designs and concepts and to proactively give technical advices to improve quality and performance of the products and services. In addition there is a proactive collaboration with the Business Development, the Business Units, Services and the Repair & Conversion branch of the Damen Group. The R&D department has the goal to develop knowledge in all strategically relevant technical knowledge domains and to make it accessible to the relevant stakeholders. In these technical knowledge domains, Damen wants to be among the best in the world in order to stimulate innovation based on a sound technical knowledge and to contribute to product developments throughout the Damen Group.