Within Damen the IT&IM department is a professional provider of high quality IT solutions and services and the driver for digital transformation. The mission of IT&IM is to create business value by means of technology for Damen Shipyards Group by innovating the (digital) collaboration between colleagues, yards, ships, customers and suppliers.
The Damen Group IT&IM department consists of approximately 160 fte and provides 24-7 service to 38 business units and 4,500 users.
Within the IT&IM department, the role of the IT BUILD team is to rebuild existing (IT) solutions or build new IT solutions that meet the (future) demands of the business and to embed those solutions within the Damen business. ‘BUILD’ does not only refer to (re)development of IT solutions. In fact in most cases, standard (cloud) applications will be bought and configured. The BUILD work is performed and governed in Waterfall or Agile style.
Within this context, the Solution Architect has to make sure the IT Infrastructure is developed in the right direction and in the right way.
The IT Infrastructure is the heart of our IT landscape, connecting sites worldwide, enabling Damen Global Applications to run, on a secure and stable infrastructure.
(e.g. IaaS, SaaS, PaaS, Network, Storage, Virtualization, Wintel, Databases, Backup, DR). As such, the Architect is a key player in the IT BUILD team.
The Solution Architect for the IT Infrastructure domain is responsible for the (development) roadmap of the Damen Global IT Infrastructure. This is a vital position in the organization and you will have a high degree of competency across a broad range of technologies within IT Architecture and Infrastructure.
The architect is responsible for the translation of business requirements into technical (solution) requirements. The architect should also challenge and improve the business requirements based on technological possibilities and developments. Furthermore, the architect should make sure the solution designs will take into account and follow the architecture guidelines where possible. Next, the architect supervises and coaches the team members for projects in which the solutions are being (re)build. The architect also drives IT Infrastructure domain community that crosses both projects and the standing (support) organization.
As a Solution Architect, you are self-directed, passionate about IT infrastructure and technology and always focused on delivering the right results. You are an effective communicator capable of communicating complex insights to both technical and non-technical audiences. You apply your IT infrastructure acumen and a breadth of technologies to answer a wide range of high-impact business questions and present the insights in a concise and effective manner.
As Solution Architect IT Infrastructure you will report to the (Resource) Manager of the IT BUILD department.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Translate (future) high level business requirements into IT infrastructure requirements and technical roadmaps;
- Develop and maintain an IT infrastructure strategy that fits with our Enterprise Architecture Guidelines and the overall strategy of the Company;
- Develop and maintain the IT Infrastructure vision, roadmap and architecture, in close collaboration with key business and IT stakeholders;
- Drive and enforce the realization of the IT infrastructure roadmap and architecture across the business/IT organization;
- Improve our IT infrastructure landscape by leveraging existing technology, building new technology, or evaluate and integrate 3rd party solutions;
- Develop the IT infrastructure in the IT landscape in close collaboration with the Enterprise Architecture;
- Collaborate with the Towerleads from the RUN/ maintenance organization to ensure proper maintenance;
- Proactively identify, evaluate, promote and explain new IT infrastructure technologies and developments;
- Maintain and share subject matter expertise/knowledge of the solution domain architecture and related functionality;
- Drive the IT Infrastructure communities, consisting of representatives from Business, Solution Management, Enterprise Architects and from RUN / maintenance;
- Check the business requirements to determine the complete business context and define the technical requirements for the solution;
- Draft Solution Designs in accordance with the Enterprise Architecture, in a way the design can be implemented by the project team;
- Supervise and coach the team members in the projects in which infrastructure solutions are being (re)build, to ensure development of these solutions are in line with the roadmap and architecture.
- Master education / thinking level;
- 5+ years of relevant experience;
- Possess in-depth business knowledge and technical expertise in one or more areas:
- IT Infrastructure architecture and design (networking, virtualization, storage, wintel, databases, backup, disaster recovery, Office 365, Azure cloud)
- Application systems infrastructure (middle-tier, database, vendor or locally designed applications)
- Multi-tiered environments architecture and design
- Application architecture and design including private, public and hybrid cloud applications
- Authentication services architecture and design.
- 5+ years of experience with developing an information / solution management model and implementing an information analysis model;
- Knowledge and experience with regard to architectural models, Togaf, Archimate;
- Excellent communication skills (English) and able to work in an international team;
- Self-motivated, taking initiative and sharing innovative ideas.
Within Damen and especially in this department and role you have a lot of responsibility and freedom to come up and implement your own ideas.
Group Information Technology and Information Management (IT & IM) is one of the pillars in the delivery of the ambitious business objectives of Damen Shipyards Group. Managing growth by structuring the (digital) information on a global basis sets high standards on the availability and accessibility of our IT infrastructure. Some innovative projects are: Remote sailing / services, Big Data for Marketing & Sales, Cloud First policy, Global PLM implementation, High Performance Computing, 3D Printing, the Internet of Things, etc. We deliver 24/7 availability services, to 38 entities and 4.500 users. Delivered from our service hubs and Managed Service Provider.