Based on a variety of vessels and markets we have different product departments at Damen. Each product department has its own specialism. One of these product groups is Defence & Security part of the business unit Offshore & Transport, responsible for the design of Military and in general Governmental vessels.
As Design & Proposal Engineer you translate customer requirements into the design of a vessel in close cooperation with our Sales department. You prepare ship designs (Naval Architecture) and specifications, calculate costs and determine the delivery time through close collaboration with other departments within Damen (Research, Engineering, Production and Sales). In addition, your task is to develop new vessels and optimize our current product portfolio.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Designing vessels in accordance with the criteria of the client;
- Providing technical support to the Damen Sales organization during the contracting process, for example by giving presentations or providing calculations;
- Willing to travel to clients all over the world;
- Optimizing (standard) designs, in order to lower the price and enhance quality, reliability and the functionality of the vessels;
- Liaising with internal departments (Research, Engineering, Services) and external parties for optimal project results;
- Keeping track of the overall progress in the pre-sales phase;
- Product development and optimization including market research and concept design;
- Setting up a project planning (milestones), calculating supplemental work and cost savings, preparing a list of deviations and other client specific data;
- Preparing ship designs, specifications, cost calculations and build strategies for sales prospects;
- Bachelor or Master degree in Marine Engineering or Naval Architecture;
- At least five years relevant work experience in ship design;
- You master excellent communication skills, preferably in Dutch and English;
You are customer-oriented, flexible and find it a challenge to work on various projects at the same time. You have excellent communication skills and can express yourself well in a business conversation.
Here at DAMEN we realize supporting and managing many talented individuals is of great essence. We understand that the key to success is to find the right person for the right job. That’s why we continually invest in your development. Damen offers you (in case of full time employment):
- a dynamic international working environment focusing on technology and innovation;
- a competitive salary;
- at least 40 days of annual leave;
- travel allowance;
- profit sharing & pension allowance;
- continuous focus on professional and personal development through our DAMEN Academy;
- an active social environment in terms of business culture, events & sports.
For certain positions, prior to extending an offer of employment, DAMEN will check and verify the following information: professional references, the authenticity of identity documentation and educational credentials, an integrity statement and a Certificate of Good Conduct (CGC). For some positions an assessment may be part of the application procedure.
Within the Business Unit Offshore & Transport at Damen we work on specialized vessel which are custom designed and built according to client specifications. We work for the product groups Offshore & Transport, Defense & Security, Fishery, Cargo Vessels and Ferries. The Engineering department is responsible for the development of the Basic Engineering package including Class and Client approvals, management of Detail Engineering partners and production support. The policy of Offshore and Transport is increasingly focused on further standardization of the product range, equipment, production and parts.