Regularly the Damen high-speed vessels are equipped with seawater cooled propulsion engines. The exhaust gasses of the engines are going overboard through the side shell. For several reasons this exhaust penetration is cooled with water spray from the cooling water system of the main propulsion engines:
- Reducing noise;
- Non-spark guarantee around oil platforms;
- Protecting paint against heat;
- Protecting the hull material against the heat;
- Protecting the exhaust hull one-way flap against heat;
- Losing the cooling water.
Tasks & Responsibilities
Your primary focus will be to investigate the existing way of cooling the exhaust system and the design criteria of it. What is the work for an engineer to realize this cooling? Can we get rid of the water inside the exhaust?
- All points of attention to design a water injection system;
- Total material and man-hour costs;
- The costs for services and guarantee;
- Alternatives and risks; can we go to a dry exhaust?;
- Different hull materials: Steel, Aluminum and Composites.
- A report with findings about the existing system;
- Advise about the need of cooling in several different exhaust solutions;
- Alternative concepts to increase the total yearly costs;
- A standard solution for the future.
Several basic tests pointed out that there are possibilities to get rid of the water-cooling in the exhaust.
The right student is:
- Follows a HBO study Mechanical Engineering;
- Has practical insight; “not afraid to get dirty hands”;
- Has skills to prove the test results with calculations;
- Is interested in shipbuilding;
- Has basic knowledge about corrosion, diesel engines, metals and composites;
- Has an sufficient knowledge of the English language.
What do we offer?
- A pleasant, informal working atmosphere and professional guidance;
- A challenging, international environment where you will have a lot of freedom and responsibility;
- A very educational and enjoyable internship;
- An internship allowance (additional travel costs will also be covered).
Does this vacancy suit you? Don’t hesitate, send us your motivation letter and resume!
Damen Shipyards Gorinchem, headquarters of the Damen Shipyards Group, is a well-known leading international shipyard. Damen Shipyards Group operates more than 36 shipyards, repair yards and related companies worldwide with a total turnover of 1.7 billion Euro. At Damen Shipyards Gorinchem we design and build a wide range of products including tugs, workboats, naval and patrol vessels, high speed craft, dredgers, vessels for the offshore industry, ferries, pontoons and cargo vessels. Damen delivers more than 160 vessels each year. In fact, we have built more than 6,000 ships since 1969. Our clients include contractors, oil companies, port authorities, offshore companies and maritime service providers.