At present, the Damen Fast Ferries are designed according to the very stringent IMO High Speed Craft Code 2000. This is required for fast passenger vessels on international voyages. It results in the highest level of safety possible, but also in a high costs price of the vessel. For national voyages or for slower vessels, less stringent (but still safe) rules can be applied. It is even possible to design a vessel not according to an existing set of rules, but to no rules at all but still be safe (alternative safety approach).
The goal of this graduation project is to find a suitable alternative set of rules, apply these to a Damen Fast Ferry and determine the consequences on the General Arrangement, the specification and the price of this vessel. Furthermore, design solutions should be determined that offer alternative safety at even lower costs and determine the consequences on the General Arrangement, the specification and the price of this vessel.
Tasks & Responsibilities
As an intern at the department High Speed Craft you get a wide range of responsibilities, which depend from your own effort and sense of responsibilities. We would like you to set up:
- Description of work carried out;
- The general arrangements of vessel;
- A description of changes in specification;
- An overview of impact on cost price;
- A specification of the vessel according to alternative rules;
- A specification of the vessel according to alternative safety;
- The cost price of the vessel (2x).
Already interested in this unique internship at Damen? It’s getting better because we offer you:
- Workspace at HSC Design & Proposal department;
- 1 or 2 hours per week face-to-face contact;
- Additional assistance by email;
- Knowledge of the IMO HSC Code and the Damen designs that are made according to this code;
- Guidance on other codes and alternative safety;
- A good compensation fee;
- Internship for 3 of 5 months.
The right student is:
- Studying MBO or Bachelor Scheepsbouwkunde
- Passionate about ships and shipbuilding
- Independent, curious, analytical and proactive
- Doesn’t think in problems but in solutions
- Flexible working attitude
- Preferably available from September
- Available for 3 or 5 months (preferably 5)
Damen Shipyards Gorinchem, headquarters of the Damen Shipyards Group, is a well-known leading international shipyard. Damen Shipyards Group operates more than 32 shipyards, repair yards and related companies worldwide with a total turnover of 1.7 billion Euro. At Damen Shipyards Gorinchem we design and build a wide range of products including tugs, workboats, naval and patrol vessels, high speed craft, dredgers, vessels for the offshore industry, ferries, pontoons and cargo vessels. Damen delivers more than 180 vessels each year. In fact, we have built more than 6,000 ships since 1969. Our clients include contractors, oil companies, port authorities, offshore companies and maritime service providers.