Damen Naval offers you a career that is challenging, exciting and fun in equal measure. You could join our team – over 500 professionals in our locations In Schiedam and Vlissingen. The Naval division of the family-owned Damen Shipyards Group is renowned internationally for its on-time, on budget delivery of high-quality naval vessels, as well as its role of full-service provider, or integrator, throughout the life-cycle of its products. The division has a rich history reaching back over 140 years and is proud of its long tradition of serving the Royal Netherlands Navy (RNLN), the launching customer of eight successive generations of Damen Combatants. Today, Damen Naval operates yards and specialist engineering companies in the Netherlands, Belgium and Romania and additionally constructs vessels at non-Damen locations of clients’ choosing all around the world. Damen Naval is looking towards the future. Together with its partners, the division undertakes in-depth R&D with a view to optimising the efficiency of naval shipbuilding processes for the future. Are you ready for duty?
As Assistant Manager Marine & Propulsions you will perform the direct line management for one of two engineering disciplines of the Marine & Propulsion Department of Damen Naval. Your primary role will be to effectively lead, inspire and motivate the teams of engineers, with different levels of technical experience and expertise.
As Assistant Manager Marine & Propulsions you will be a senior member of the engineering team, responsible for day-to-day management of a discipline with approximately 30 FTE. You will report to the manager Marine & Propulsion.
As Assistant Manager Marine & Propulsions your responsibilities are:
- Managing the department resource planning and assure all project teams can be manned with the required capabilities and organises temporary engineering capacity.
- Advising on the individual employee performance and career.
- Managing day-to-day work, as well as long-term planning of the disciplines of the Marine & Propulsion engineering department into a productive team.
- Driving new ideas in processes and methodology and secures this in work instructions.
- Ensuring disciplined proposal evaluation support with a process, technical solution and man hour estimation.
- Supporting the engineering projects on practical solutions.
- Ensuring that department objectives and standards (including HSEQ) are understood and owned by the team members.
- Ensuring that engineers accurately log and capture their time spent on the projects.
- Providing input and receiving feedback on all current and future changes, projects and work requests elsewhere in the business.
- Working with managers and engineers within other disciplines.
- Developing and describing standards and working methods.
Skills & experience
As Assistant Manager Marine & Propulsions you need to have:
- Bachelor degree in mechanical engineering or other relevant technical study.
- Experience in working in an engineering environment as line manager or as people and/or resource manager.
- Experience in engineering, preferable in complex ships.
- Ability to occasionally travel long distances and work abroad.
- Excellent command of Dutch and English language (written and verbal) is essential.
- Excellent antecedents as a pre-employment security screening and investigation are a part of the recruitment procedure (given the military nature of the projects).
- EU citizenship or valid EU work visa required to be considered as viable candidate.
What we offer
We highly value our employees and support your professional and personal development. Therefore we invest in all our employees by:
- A technology and innovation focused dynamic international work environment.
- A competitive salary package & other benefits.
- On-going learning opportunities within a diverse and rewarding work environment.
- An active social environment in terms of business culture, events & sports.
Are you interested in the position of Assistant Manager Marine & Propulsion and do you recognise yourself in the job description? Please apply directly via the Damen career portal or through the apply now button.
For more information about the vacancy, Damen Naval or the application process, please visit the working at Damen Naval webpage or call the Corporate Recruitment department on +31 (0)118- 485 000.
Please note, that only candidates with an EU citizenship or valid EU work visa will be considered as viable candidates. A pre-employment and security screening and investigation form part of the recruitment process.
Damen Naval does not approve commercial, contractor and/or agency or other commercial use of this advertisement. Proposing candidates without invitation is not appreciated and will not be considered.