Damen Naval offers you a career that is challenging, exciting and fun in equal measure. You could join our team – over 500 professionals in our locations In Schiedam and Vlissingen. The Naval division of the family-owned Damen Shipyards Group is renowned internationally for its on-time, on budget delivery of high-quality naval vessels, as well as its role of full-service provider, or integrator, throughout the life-cycle of its products. The division has a rich history reaching back over 140 years and is proud of its long tradition of serving the Royal Netherlands Navy (RNLN), the launching customer of eight successive generations of Damen Combatants. Today, Damen Naval operates yards and specialist engineering companies in the Netherlands, Belgium and Romania and additionally constructs vessels at non-Damen locations of clients’ choosing all around the world. Damen Naval is looking towards the future. Together with its partners, the division undertakes in-depth R&D with a view to optimising the efficiency of naval shipbuilding processes for the future. Are you ready for duty?
Damen Naval focuses on selling a number of core products, Combatants and Naval Auxiliaries. These products and tenders to customers are brought about by the Products & Proposals Department. Designing, estimating, applying research results and improving our products takes place in a dynamic team, just as supporting marketing and sales in consultation with clients and partners in the Netherlands and abroad.
As Design Engineer - Naval Architect you are responsible for establishing the naval design and its development and monitoring during the pre-contract stage. You will perform (sub) product development under the direction of the Product Manager and indications of the Proposal Engineer. As Design Engineer - Naval Architect you will write reports and specifications and work closely with colleague Design Engineers and other people assigned to the project.
As Design Engineer - Naval Architect you will:
- Perform design and proposal activities in consultation with the proposal engineer.
- Design tasks: general plan, weight calculations, stability calculations, resistance and propulsion calculations, other main ship balances and evaluation of new (sub) concepts and reporting.
- Proposal tasks: write (request) specifications for equipment, writing (parts of -) specifications, writing reports and making presentations.
- Organise internal interfaces and ensure timely and effective communication with all relevant stakeholders so that input can be included in the specialized calculations.
- Liaise with internal departments for optimal project results.
- Contribute to the further development of the Product & Proposal department.
Skills & experience
As Design Engineer - Naval Architect you need to have:
- A bachelor or Master degree in Naval architecture, Mechanical Engineering or another relevant technical study.
- Experience in hands-on coordinating a design and proposal process.
- Expertise and experience in a variety of design concepts and practices.
- Experience in design & integration of (combat) systems preferably in complex new built naval ships.
- Good command of the Dutch and English language (written & verbal).
What we offer
We highly value our employees and will support your professional and personal development. To that end we invest in all our employees by offering:
- A technology and innovation focused dynamic international work environment;
- A competitive salary package & other benefits;
- On-going learning and development opportunities within a diverse and rewarding work environment;
- An active social environment in terms of business culture, events & sports.
Are you interested in the position of Design Engineer Naval and do you recognise yourself in the job description? Please apply directly via the Damen career portal or through the apply now button.
For more information about the vacancy, Damen Naval or the application process, please visit the working at Damen Naval webpage or call the Corporate Recruitment department on +31 (0)118- 485 000.
Please note, that only candidates with an EU citizenship or valid EU work visa will be considered as viable candidates. A pre-employment and security screening and investigation form part of the recruitment process.
Damen Naval does not approve commercial, contractor and/or agency or other commercial use of this advertisement. Proposing candidates without invitation is not appreciated and will not be considered.