Damen Dredging Equipment (DDE) in Nijkerk is a subsidiary of Damen Shipyards. Being the dredging division of Damen, DDE designs and builds a wide range of dredging equipment. The company has a large range of standard dredgers and dredging-related components. Due to the extensive experience in this market (over 70 years) we can respond to very specific customer requirements. The standard products are, therefore, continuously adjusted by making use of a wide range of options in order to provide a flexible and efficient dredging device that fully meets the needs of the customer. The company has about 100 employees and a turnover of approximately €70M (2020).
The RD&I department of Damen Dredging focuses on the development of new or improved dredging concepts and equipment. A dredging vessel is equipped with a large amount of mechanical constructions, designed to cope with the harsh maritime conditions. Technical playing field is where hydrodynamics, flow technology, kinematics, structural and rotating engineering meets civil engineering and shipbuilding. RD&I translates operational questions of DDE’s clients into both practical and innovative solutions.
The objective of the proposed internship is to review the characteristics (e.g. wear, corrosion and performance) of components subject to varying slurry pipe system conditions, such as flow, density, pressure and soil type.
Dredging equipment is subject to harsh conditions. Exposure to maritime, saline environments is already demanding for most steel structures. In addition, the dredging process itself and the way the equipment is operated and maintained pose extra challenges to the design of the equipment.
The RD&I department of Damen Dredging Equipment (DDE) owns an innovative sediment transport test circuit. The circuit simulates all circumstances of the transport of a sand/water mixture and can be used for dredge production estimations and wear predictions. The infinite circuit is intended to simulate the harsh conditions of a real dredge installation. The standard test pipe is a 8.0m long straight pipe section of ø250mm for the installation of components or prototypes to be tested in the dredge processes.
Test projects envisaged to be carried out in the near future are a.o.:
- Research and comparison on wear resistance of various liner materials for pipes and sensors
- Testing pump performances under various wear conditions of pump parts, and predictive maintenance methods
- Measuring the effect of different soil types, viscosity, gas content etc. on pump performance
- Testing performance and life time of novel process sensors
- Testing process control and visualization systems
Details of above projects can be elaborated in a job interview with the candidate.
An internship project typically consist of the following activities, however these items are depending per test objective, and the terms defined by the educational programme:
- Literature study
- Design and run analytical models of physical processes (by CFD, Matlab, MathCAD,…)
- Negotiations with the supplier of components which are to be tested
- Set up of the test program, including all varying conditions
- CAD design and coordinate fabrication of specific test sample holders, or modifications to the test circuit and facilities
- Mounting of the samples in the circuit
- Executing the tests, monitoring and possibly operating the circuit (partly remote controlled)
- Preferably coordinating or carrying out repair and maintenance on the test facility
- Collecting test data and analyzing the measuring results
- Validating analytical models with the measuring results
- Reporting and demonstrations to stakeholders within the project
- Taking responsibility for your own project management….
Skills & experience
- Bachelor or secondary education student in Mechanical Engineering, Automotive Engineering, Maritime Engineering, Civil Engineering, Dredging Engineering, Fluid Dynamics, Material Physics or Energy Technology
- Autonomous, practical mindset and result driven. Proven skills in repairing cars, motor bikes or any machine. A curious attitude. Good communication skills.
- Good command of English, especially in writing.
What we offer
The project will be carried out at the DDE yard location in Nijkerk. A monthly allowance will be paid for the duration of the assignment. Flexible working hours can be discussed and proper mentoring at HBO or academic level will be available throughout the project.