Damen Shipyards Group is established in 1927 and is a 100% Dutch family owned international group of companies which operates 34 shipbuilding and repair yards, employing 10,000 people worldwide. Damen has delivered more than 6,000 vessels in more than 100 countries and delivers some 200 vessels annually to customers worldwide. Damen designs and builds innovative vessels and based on its unique, standardized ship-design concept Damen is able to guarantee consistent quality supported by a worldwide network of sales and services. Annual production value amounts to approximately EUR 2bln.
Damen offers a wide range of products, including tugs, workboats, naval and patrol vessels, high speed craft, cargo vessels, dredgers, vessels for the offshore industry, ferries, pontoons and superyachts. For nearly all vessel types Damen offers a broad range of services, including maintenance, spare parts delivery, training and the transfer of (shipbuilding) know-how. Damen also offers a variety of marine components, such as nozzles, rudders, anchors, anchor chains and steel works.
In addition to ship design and shipbuilding, the Damen Shiprepair & Conversion division has a worldwide network of repair and conversion yards with dry docks ranging up to 420 x 80 meters. Conversion projects range from adapting vessels to today’s requirements and regulations to the complete conversion of large offshore structures. With more than 1,500 employees, the Damen Shiprepair & Conversion division provides repair services for all kinds of vessels. The division's eleven shipyards in the Netherlands, France and Curaçao have 22 docks and they complete some 1,300 projects annually. In addition to repairs, the division also executes projects in the areas of conversion (rebuilding) and decommissioning.
Do you have a master degree in Dutch law and experience in contract law? This could be the next step you are looking for!
Advices Damen Shiprepair companies and Procurement departments on various aspects and areas of law and is in particular involved in contract negotiations with customers and suppliers all over the world.
You will be part of the legal team dedicated to the Damen Shiprepair & Conversion division. The team consists of 2 legal counsels and a Head of Legal. You will report to the Head of Legal, Risk and Compliance of Damen Shiprepair & Conversion Holding B.V.
Further, you will be part of the group wide team of (international) legal counsels, contract managers, compliance officers and risk managers who share knowledge and work together throughout the various divisions.
- Provide legal advice to the business in all areas, but mostly focused on contract law, procurement;
- Supports the sales team during negotiations with drafting contracts and aligning or revision of appendices of the commercial contract and ensures consistency with the terms and conditions of the subcontracts;
- Ensures compliance with company policies and applicable laws and regulations;
- Review and advise management on legal implications of internal and external policies and procedures;
- Review and reporting of major and frame contracts, fleet agreements and other documents;
- Prepare, review and modify contractual instruments to assist and support various business activities;
- Be a proud member of our Team Legal Shiprepair which strives for creating legal awareness throughout the division.
Skills & experience
- Master degree of Dutch law, preferably civil or contract law;
- Experience as in-company Legal Counsel or other relevant business;
- Experience in international (shipbuilding) business or manufacturing / construction business is a preference;
- Good basic knowledge & experience of contract law and general company legal counsel practices;
- Accurate and quality-oriented;
- Good communication and negotiation skills;
- Good command of the Dutch and English language;
- Positive spirit and team player;
- Ability to travel and work abroad occasionally.