Damen Naval offers you a career that is challenging, exciting and fun in equal measure. You could join our team – over 500-strong – of professionals in our location in the beautiful province of Zeeland on the south-west coast of the Netherlands.
The Naval division of the family-owned Damen Shipyards Group is renowned internationally for its on-time, on budget delivery of high quality naval vessels, as well as its role of full service provider, or integrator, throughout the lifecycle of its products.
The division has a rich history reaching back over 140 years and is proud of its long tradition of serving the Royal Netherlands Navy (RNLN), the launching customer of eight successive generations of Damen Combatants.
Today, Damen Naval operates yards and specialist engineering companies in the Netherlands, Belgium and Romania and additionally constructs vessels at non-Damen locations of clients’ choosing all around the world.
Damen Naval is looking towards the future. Together with its partners, the division undertakes in-depth R&D with a view to optimising the efficiency of naval shipbuilding processes for the future.
Are you ready for duty?
The Electrical & Automation department is responsible for the design, specification, selection and integration of all electrical and automation systems on board our vessels. These systems are very extensive and include electrical power distribution, lighting, networking, platform automation, navigation, communication and much more. All systems are based upon Client requirements and applicable rules & regulations, while they are engineered in close cooperation with suppliers, co-makers and other departments.
The Electrical & Automation department is part of the multidisciplinary Engineering department.
The main activities within this department are:
- Requirements Engineering and development of conceptual system designs.
- Development of technical specifications for (subcontracted) systems.
- Technical review of offers from suppliers and co-makers, together with the procurement department.
- Development of functional system descriptions and diagrams.
- Integration of electrical parts and systems in close cooperation with the main co-makers.
- Management of all electrical/data interfaces between (subcontracted) systems.
- Routing of cables in a 3D CAD environment.
- Development and review of test protocols.
- Attend Factory Acceptance Tests for main subcontracted systems.
- Support the building yard during production and commissioning till delivery of the vessel.
- Contribute to design studies and proposals for new projects.
You will be working on a broad variety of tasks in the field Automation and will be involved from the very first (proposal) phase in the project to perform design proposals and calculations. During the execution of the project, you will work in a team of several engineers in order to deliver the requested engineering documents. You will implement deep technical and practical knowledge into solid and innovative designs. Contribute to the engineering process by developing the required deliverables, such as specification documents, functional descriptions, schematic drawings and test/validation plans.
- Perform the required technical calculations to prove the design.
- Participate in design checks and reviews in order to guarantee the required quality.
- Compose technical/functional specification documents.
- Verify technical performance of vendors and subcontractors.
- Perform cost analysis on received offers, in close cooperation with the Purchase department.
- Ensure full compliance to all applicable requirements and specifications, imposed by Class and the customer.
- Offer support for producing and submitting proposals to our customers.
- Offer technical support or commissioning activities to projects under contract.
- Manage vendors and subcontractors to get their timely contribution to the project.
- Contribute to the further development of the E&A Engineering department.
- Develop and describe standards and working methods.
Skills & experience
- Electrical Engineering or another relevant technical study at Master or Bachelor level.
- 3 to 5 year experience in the design and installation of complex Automation systems.
- Vast experience and broad knowledge of automation systems, preferably in ships, offshore or industrial installations.
- Experienced in the functional development of Control & Monitoring systems.
- Knowledge about EMC regulations and compliancy precautions.
- Used to work on Class-regulated products.
- Experienced in Good Engineering Practices, including quality and budget awareness.
- Experienced to work with and manage third-party vendors and subcontractors.
- Experienced to work in complex project environments.
- Prepared to work on other locations than the regular office location, in the Netherlands or abroad.
- Good command of Dutch and English language (written and verbal).
What we offer
We highly value our employees and support your professional and personal development. Therefore we invest in all our employees by:
- A technology and innovation focused dynamic international work environment;
- A competitive salary package & other benefit;
- On-going learning opportunities within a diverse and rewarding work environment;
- An active social environment in terms of business culture, events & sports.
Due to summer holidays, the application procedure may take longer than usual. We appreciate your understanding and will get back to you after the holidays.