Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding (DSNS), established in Vlissingen has a rich tradition of naval shipbuilding with its original navy roots stemming back more than 145 years. At that time the Royal Schelde shipyard, based in Vlissingen in the Netherlands, was known worldwide for its quality shipbuilding, both in the naval and commercial sector.
Over the decades the emphasis on quality continued and in 2001 Damen Shipyards Group acquired Royal Schelde along with all of its subsidiaries. Following the acquisition, Damen then introduced its unique, standardized modular construction concept in Vlissingen too, allowing us to offer very fast delivery times.
We have delivered more than 400 vessels since 1875 to satisfied customers all over the world and have earned a reputation for excellence along the way. We have achieved this status by producing vessels that have a lifespan that far exceeds the average by offering cutting-edge technology and the most cost-efficient design solutions.
The Naval & Structural group is part of the department Engineering. The employees work on project base divided over the various projects, in which they contribute to both basic- and detailed engineering within their field of expertise.
Responsible for the Design Control part of engineering within a project. These include aspects as hydrodatics, hydrodynamics, weight control, rules and regulations, inboard noise, welding and preservation. Can be involved from the pre-Basic Engineering phase in the project to setup a solid work break down and planning structure for all tasks that belong to the Design control disciplines. During the execution of the project, will lead the team for Design Control located at R&TS in Vlissingen in order to deliver the required engineering output. Will be ultimately responsible for the desired quality, timely delivery and reporting to the Project Manager Engineering. Coordinates these team activities with regard to quality, planning, manhours and budget.
- Leads the teams for Design Control during the execution of shipbuilding projects.
- Composes Work Break Down structures and assign manhour/cost budgets.
- Delivers quality engineering work on a timely basis to the Project Manager Engineering.
- Contributes to the engineering process by developing and reviewing the required deliverables, such as technical specifications , functional descriptions, arrangements , fabrication/mounting drawings, lists and test/validation plans.
- Supports design checks and reviews in order to guarantee the required quality.
- Performs technical analysis on received offers, in close cooperation with the Purchase department.
- Monitors and controls manhour budget and supports progress reports to the Project Manager Engineering.
- Coordinates technical support or commissioning activities for projects under contract.
- Ensures full compliance to all applicable requirements and specifications imposed by Class and the customer.
- Contributes to the further development of the N&S Engineering department.
- Develop and describe standards and working methods.
- Ensure all HSEQ policies and procedures are in place, understood, owned, maintained and followed to ensure a safe and healthy work environment.
Skills & experience
- Professional education on Master level as Naval Architect.
- Minimum of ten (10) year experience in the design of complex ship structures.
- Vast experience and broad knowledge of ship design.
- Able to structure work packages and get them realized according to the contracted planning and manhour/cost budgets.
- Experienced to lead a mid-size (Engineering) teams up to 15 people.
- Used to work on Class- and Statutory regulated products.
- Experienced in Good Engineering Practices, including quality and budget awareness.
- Experienced to work with and manage third-party vendors and subcontractors.
- Good command of the Dutch & English language (written & verbal).
- Ability to frequently travel long distances and work abroad.
What we offer
We highly value our employees and support your professional and personal development. Therefore we invest in all our employees by:
- A technology and innovation focused dynamic international work environment.
- A competitive salary package & other benefits.
- On-going learning opportunities within a diverse and rewarding work environment.
- An active social environment in terms of business culture, events & sports.
Esther van Oorschot
+31 118 485000