Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding (DSNS), established in Vlissingen has a rich tradition of naval shipbuilding with its original navy roots stemming back more than 140 years. At that time the Royal Schelde shipyard, based in Vlissingen in the Netherlands, was known worldwide for its quality shipbuilding, both in the naval and commercial sector.
For more than 50 years DSNS has in fact been the dedicated shipbuilder of the Royal Netherlands Navy and we have worked alongside the Royal Netherlands Navy on the design, engineering and construction of eight generations of combatants, as well as amphibious vessels and naval auxiliaries. Based on decades of experience Damen now offers navies worldwide a broad range of defence and security vessels, ranging from 7 m to more than 200 m.
The Combat Systems department has an integral task within Engineering. The department accommodates the extensive and specialist knowledge of naval Sensor, Weapon and Command systems with the ultimate objective of successful installation and optimal functioning of these systems on board. To achieve this goal, the department is involved throughout the entire process, from tendering to the final product. This characterizes the department as technical with a commercial mindset.
Guiding and coordinating technical activities related from definition, procurement, engineering including installation and verification of combat systems for large projects in above water and underwater sensor systems, weapon, command and control, communication, and navigation systems. This results into an integration of systems into a naval combat suite for DSNS delivered ships and related land based facilities.
- Supports the combat system engineering group on sustained performance by delivering quality engineering products within budget and on a timely basis.
- Coordinates and facilitates the subcontractors & suppliers contribution to the project(s) during preparation and execution.
- Takes ownership of the assigned project subcontracts to drive targeted results for schedule, quality and costs.
- Ensures full compliance with all applicable requirements and specifications imposed by DSNS and the customer.
- Organises and/or participates in project reviews.
- Secures the execution and synchronisation of project activities related to all deliverables and obligations of the Subcontractor(s), ensuring proper integration of the related subsystem.
- Participates during contractual milestones, tests and trials, such as FAT, HAT and SAT as accepting party.
- Assists the warranty authority on all warranty issues that have been identified.
- Advices the proposal department on proposals for new projects and/or new systems.
- Supports in project and proposal evaluation(s), subcontract evaluation on all aspects, and cost/price analysis.
- Assists the Combat System Integrator (CSI), a.o. by defining, establishing and testing functional and physical interfaces.
- Ensures all departmental HSEQ and IMED policies and procedures are in place, understood, owned, maintained and followed.
Skills & experience
- Technical University or Higher professional education (MSc): Electrical, Aerospace, Systems Engineering.
- Relevant Naval Combat System knowledge and experience would be a preference.
- (German) Legal knowledge and experience would be a preference.
- IPMA-C project management certification or similar experience/qualification.
- Minimum Ten (10) years’ experience in hands-on acting with engineers, suppliers / subcontractors staff, and project and Program managers in German (naval) shipbuilding or a related industry.
- Hands-on experience in manufacture & subcontract management of complex systems.
- Expertise in a variety of engineering concepts and practices which include engineering experience.
- Experience of working in complex project environments.
- Good command of the German, Dutch and English language (written and verbal);